||Web designer, 1996-2011. Sites built, redesigned, or maintained (some of these are no longer active or have been rebuilt by subsequent webmasters:
- ABWebworks, Pittsburgh, PA (www.abwebworks.com).
- Academy of Management 2003 Conference, Seattle, Carnegie Mellon University and Pace University
- AIA Baltimore
- Betensky/Kraut Family Album (www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~kraut/Family_Photos/).
- Bernstein Law Firm
- Birchbark Films, Los Angeles, CA
- CMS Station Brokerage, Pittsburgh, PA
- Complex Collaboration: Research projects about coordination across people, tasks and resources, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
- Professor Susan Fussell, Associate Professor, Communication, Member, Graduate Field of Information Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- Ann Gibbons, The First Human (book site), Pittsburgh, PA
- Professor James D. Herbsleb, Associate Professor, Institute for Software Research, and Director, Software Industry Center, Carnegie Mellon University
- Professor Pamela J. Hinds, Associate Professor, Department of Management Science & Engineering, Stanford University
- Human-Computer Interaction Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
- Jewish Women's Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- Journal of Organizational Behavior at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
- Professor Sara Kiesler, Hillman Professor of Computer Science and Human-Computer Interaction, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
- Professor Robert Kraut, Herbert A. Simon Professor of Human-Computer Interaction, Human-Computer Interaction Institute, Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA (www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~kraut)
- Learning Disabilities Association of America, Pittsburgh, PA
- Life Friends
- Lease Enforcement Attorney Network (LEAN)
- The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
- Nehemiah Persoff, actor and artist, California: online gallery
- G.C. Pontius Architect, Baltimore, MD
- Professor Denise Rousseau, H. J. Heinz II Professor of Organizational Behavior and Public Policy, Heinz School of Public Policy and Management, Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
- Temple Sinai, Pittsburgh, PA
- Towboatlaw, Frederick B. Goldsmith, Attorney at Law, Pittsburgh, PA
- Universal Charge Accounts, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA
- Professor Suzanne P. Weisband, Eller Fellow and Associate Professor in MIS, University of Arizona, Tucson
Published "Launching a Solo or Small Firm Web Site (Or How to Get a Web Site if You're Not Amazon.com)" with Robert S. Bernstein, ACBA [Allegheny County Bar Association] Sole & Small Firm Practitioner, May 1999.
Back to top
University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh, PA, 1995-1996
Planned and executed promotion campaigns and budget for 75 new titles and existing inventory of 600 titles covering poetry, literature, natural history, regional history, and social sciences. Wrote and supervised design, production, and mailings of seasonal catalog, brochures, subject catalogs, flyers, and press releases. Supervised scheduling and production of space ads and sending out of review copies. Obtained endorsements and wrote jacket and cover copy. Maintained author contact. Initiated sales meetings with sales representatives and book buyers.
Freelance editor, 1993-1995
Director of Marketing/Special Projects, 1987-1993
Advertising and Promotion Manager, 1983-1986
Scarecrow Press, Metuchen, NJ
Planned and executed promotion campaigns and budget for 100+ new titles a year and existing inventory of 1800 titles (library science texts; reference books and monographs in humanities, business, and the social sciences). Maintained contact with authors from production through publication and throughout the life of the book.
Automated invoicing, sales reports, accounting, inventory management, and royalty processing through installation of The Cat's Pajamas publishing software. Automated production of camera-ready promotional literature through desktop publishing. Designed and maintained database for catalog and sales information to produce listings, forms, and reports. Helped develop and market Scarecrow's library software products. Supervised office computer network.
Acquired manuscripts in film, literature, and women's studies at scholarly conferences and through author contacts. Spearheaded CD-ROM publishing effort for reference titles. Managed subsidiary rights program and in-house paperback publishing program.
Associate Director of Marketing
Humanities Press, Atlantic Highlands, NJ, 1982
Holmes & Meier Publishers, New York, NY, 1981
Freelance editor, rewriter, copy editor and proofreader, 1980-1982
Assistant Professor of Classics
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1973-1978
Had full responsibility for courses in classical languages and literature and English composition; headed departmental committees; advised students; lectured at other universities and at professional meetings; published scholarly papers.
Ph.D., Yale University, Classics
BA, Barnard College, cum laude, honors in Greek; English minor; Phi Beta Kappa
Summer Publishing Institute, New York University
Online Information Design, Carnegie Mellon University
NEH Research Fellowship
Cornell University Humanities Faculty Research Grants
Yale University Graduate Fellowships and Travel Grant